Friday, November 24, 2006

Flying close to the sun...

Flying close to the sun...

So it's been a while. Sue me..

We're three days into the new regime health here: we are to become fatless and fit apparently. Less drinking, less red meat, more fruit and more (shudder) exercise. I am not allowed to have a heaping of last night's left-over stew on my 1" thick toast for breakfast.. oh no. Now it's a grapefruit or yogurt or a banana. Yum. I can't wait to wake up in the mornings.

We drink NZ goat's milk, eat NZ sheep's milk feta, and I use no cream in the sauces. It's not all bad. I actually like the taste of goat's milk in my coffee, and the feta is delicious. It's all just bloody expensive. Bad luck to have begun all this right now when I need a new computer.

Then there's the exercise, of course. Oh, I know it's good for me... heart rate improves, bowels work (not that they were a problem before) and better wind. We drive to the beach each morning and power walk to the far end along the foreshore and road--about a kilometre. Then stroll back along the beach among the fish skeltons, dead shellfish, dried seaweed and beer bottles.

Herself has become rampant... her little short legs sweep her along in front increasing the distance between us with every aggressive stride. She can't swing her arms because of damage to her shoulders, but she barrels along scattering mynah and heron and blackbird, dust swirling in her wake. Which is where I am.

She is a shining example of dedication to a healthier life-style, and I can only hope that she finds another windmill to tilt at before she looks like a stunted version of Naomi Campbell. Mind you.........

No comments: